Bahadir BALKI is known for his excellent work discipline together with his intriguing and effective defences. In the last ten years, he has been involved in virtually every significant cartel and abuse of dominance investigations launched by the Turkish Competition Authority concerning insurance, banking, iron&steel, automotive, cement, telecommunications, broadcasting rights, ro-ro transportation, FMCG, alcoholic beverages, media audit, port services etc. Clients have also benefited from Mr. BALKI’s extensive experience in global merger cases, especially in Phase II procedures, in a variety of industries (i.e. eyewear and lenses, titanium dioxide, crop protection business, iron&steel, FMCG, ground handling, aviation, port management services, ro-ro transportation, cement, movie theatre).
Beyond successfully leading the leniency applications, Mr. BALKI’s experience is above the rest in terms of leniency enforcement. He contributed to the creation of the first precedent in the Turkish competition law practice for leniency in non-cartel cases, whereby a leniency applicant represented by ACTECON still obtained the immunity even if the nature of the violation is not considered a cartel by the Turkish Competition Authority.
He conducts comprehensive competition compliance programs focusing on details of the relevant market structure and provides legal consultancy services on day-to-day business for his clients who come from a wide range of industries. He is regarded as a pragmatic and client-focused advisor connected to the business facts.
He is acknowledged and welcomed by other institutions in the area of antitrust law. He was invited to the ICN Annual Meeting 2014 as a “resource person” on “Remedies, Commitments, and Cooperation”. He was also a member of drafting team for ICN Unilateral Conduct Workbook chapters on “Tying and Bundling”. He is also a co-writer of the Turkey Chapters of editions on “Private Antitrust Litigation” (since 2015) and “Competition Compliance” (since 2017) published by Getting the Deal Through.
He is one of the guest lecturers in competition law courses at Istanbul Bilgi University’s LL.M program also a lecturer in Corporate Ethics and Compliance Management Program organized by the Ethics and Reputation Society of Turkey.
Bahadir BALKI is recommended as a leading competition lawyer globally by Who’s Who Legal: Competition 2019.
The Leading Individual in Competition Law Practice in Turkey in 2019, by Legal 500.
One of the "World's Leading Competition Lawyers", by Global Competition Review and Who's Who Legal, between 2015-2019.
WWL says: Bahadir Balki has "a great reputation in the market" thanks to his first-class handling of high-profile cartel and dominance investigations.
- Universität des Saarlandes - Europa-Institut, LL.M. in EU Economy Law, 2008
- Bahcesehir University, Law Faculty, LLB, 2006
RECENT ESSAYS & ARTICLES
6. "The Spanish Competition Authority Initiates Second-Phase Examination in Connection with an Acquisition of a White Cement Production Base", with Nabi Can Acar and Burak Buğrahan Sezer, Concurrences, July 2019
7. "The Turkish Competition Authority Finds Exchange of Informations and Supply Restrictions from Nine Undertakings During an Investigation in the Poultry Sector," with Barış Yüksel and Mustafa Ayna, Concurrences, March 2019
8. "The Turkish Competition Authority Announces the Conclusion of its Preliminary Inquiry and Finds No Price Fixing in the Baby Food Products Market", with Ertuğrul Can Canbolat, Concurrences, October 2018
12. "The Evaluation of the Presumption of Concerted Practices in the Turkish Competition Act and of its Utilization under the Case Law of The European Court of Justice", Turkish Competition Journal, July 2009