Bahadir BALKI is known for his excellent work discipline together with his intriguing and effective defences. In the last ten years, he has been involved in virtually every significant cartel and abuse of dominance investigations launched by the Turkish Competition Authority concerning insurance, banking, iron&steel, automotive, cement, telecommunications, broadcasting rights, ro-ro transportation, FMCG, alcoholic beverages, media audit, port services etc. Clients have also benefited from Mr. BALKI’s extensive experience in global merger cases, especially in Phase II procedures, in a variety of industries (i.e. eyewear and lenses, titanium dioxide, crop protection business, iron&steel, FMCG, ground handling, aviation, port management services, ro-ro transportation, cement, movie theatre).
Beyond successfully leading the leniency applications, Mr. BALKI’s experience is above the rest in terms of leniency enforcement. He contributed to the creation of the first precedent in the Turkish competition law practice for leniency in non-cartel cases, whereby a leniency applicant represented by ACTECON still obtained the immunity even if the nature of the violation is not considered a cartel by the Turkish Competition Authority.
He conducts comprehensive competition compliance programs focusing on details of the relevant market structure and provides legal consultancy services on day-to-day business for his clients who come from a wide range of industries. He is regarded as a pragmatic and client-focused advisor connected to the business facts.
He is acknowledged and welcomed by other institutions in the area of antitrust law. He was invited to the ICN Annual Meeting 2014 as a “resource person” on “Remedies, Commitments, and Cooperation”. He was also a member of drafting team for ICN Unilateral Conduct Workbook chapters on “Tying and Bundling”. He is also a co-writer of the Turkey Chapters of editions on “Private Antitrust Litigation” (since 2015) and “Competition Compliance” (since 2017) published by Getting the Deal Through.
He is one of the guest lecturers in competition law courses at Istanbul Bilgi University’s LL.M program also a lecturer in Corporate Ethics and Compliance Management Program organized by the Ethics and Reputation Society of Turkey.
Bahadir BALKI is recommended as a leading competition lawyer globally by Who’s Who Legal: Competition 2019.
The Leading Individual in Competition Law Practice in Turkey in 2022, by Legal 500.
One of the "World's Leading Competition Lawyers", by Global Competition Review and Who's Who Legal, between 2015-2022.
Universität des Saarlandes - Europa-Institut, LL.M. in EU Economy Law, 2008
Bahcesehir University, Law Faculty, LLB, 2006
10. "Communiqué Concerning the Mergers and Acquisitions Calling for the Authorization of the Competition Board Has Been Amended", Concurrences, March 2022, with Mustafa Ayna, Özlem Başıböyük and Arda Deniz Diler
12. International Trade in Goods and Services in Turkey, 2020: Overview, Practical Law Country Guide in International Trade, with Fevzi Toksoy, Ertuğrul Can Canbolat, Emin Kutay Çelebi, Kenan Güler, and Cüneyt Yetgin
14. "A Reflection of the Turkish Competition Authority’s Enforcement History for Examination of Digital Data During On-Site Inspections: Guidelines on Examination of Digital Data During On-Site Inspections Has Been Published", Lexology, November 2020
15. "Google Removes Display of Its Shopping Unit in Turkey After the Remedy Phase of the Turkish Competition Authority’s (TCA) Google Shopping Decision Gets Stuck", Kluwer Competition Law Blog, September 2020, with Erdem Aktekin
17. "The Regional Administrative Court Found the Turkish Competition Authority’s Decision concerning Mey İçki Unlawful: Abuse of the Dominance Should Be Evaluated Separately in terms of Each Product Market!", Concurrences, May 2020, with Mustafa Ayna and Özlem Başıböyük
29. "The Evaluation of the Presumption of Concerted Practices in the Turkish Competition Act and of its Utilization under the Case Law of The European Court of Justice", Turkish Competition Journal, July 2009
32. "The Spanish Competition Authority Initiates Second-Phase Examination in Connection with an Acquisition of a White Cement Production Base", Concurrences, July 2019, with Nabi Can Acar and Burak Buğrahan Sezer
33. "The Turkish Competition Authority Finds Exchange of Informations and Supply Restrictions from Nine Undertakings During an Investigation in the Poultry Sector," Concurrences, March 2019, with Mustafa Ayna