Bahadır BALKI, LL.M. joined ACTECON in June 2008. He graduated from University of Bahcesehir (Istanbul) and holds an LL.M. degree in the field of European Economic Law from Universitat des Saarlandes – Europa Institut. He currently pursues his Ph.D. education on European Union Law. Mr. BALKI is an admitted lawyer of Istanbul Bar Association.
Mr. BALKI provided advocacy services in many cartel and abuse of dominance investigations (i.e. insurance, banking, iron&steel, automotive, cement, ready mix concrete, telecommunication, broadcasting rights, Ro-Ro transportation, salty snacks, alcoholic beverages, etc.) launched by the Competition Authority and also led many successful merger notifications in a variety of industries (i.e. iron&steel, FMCG, ground handling, cooling systems, ready-made clothing, aviation, port management services, transportation, cement, movie theatre, toys). He conducts competition compliance programs and provides legal advisory services to day-to-day business of his clients as well.
He contributed to the creation of the first precedent in the Turkish competition law practice for leniency in non-cartel cases, whereby a leniency applicant represented by ACTECON still obtained the immunity even if the nature of the violation is not considered a cartel by the Turkish Competition Authority.
Mr. BALKI also acts on behalf of his clients in anti-dumping, anti-circumvention, safeguard and sunset review investigations. He represented companies in a variety of investigations conducted in different industries (i.e. iron&steel, ceramics, solar panel, textiles, BOPP film, concrete pumps, ductile pipes, copper tubes, blanket, machine-made rugs, laminate flooring, flat glass, bicycle tyres/tubes, motor hoes etc.) by Turkish and other trade authorities.
He was appointed to the International Competition Network as an NGA by the Turkish Competition Authority and represented Turkey as a “resource person” on “Remedies, Commitments, and Cooperation” at ICN Marrakesh 2014. Mr. BALKI is one of the guest lecturers in LL.M. competition law courses at Istanbul Bilgi University.
Recognized by Legal 500 as the Leading Individual in Competition Law Practice in Turkey in 2019.
Recognized by Global Competition Review and Who's Who Legal as one of the "World's Leading Competition Lawyers" in 2019.
WWL says: Bahadir Balki has "a great reputation in the market" thanks to his first-class handling of high-profile cartel and dominance investigations.
- Universitat des Saarlandes, Saarbrücken, EU Law Institute, LL.M. in EU Economy Law, 2008
- Bahcesehir University, Istanbul, BA. in European Law, 2006
RECENT ESSAYS & ARTICLES
- Private Antitrust Litigation 2019, Turkey, Getting the Deal Through, Law Business Research with Fevzi Toksoy and Ertuğrul Can Canbolat
- Competition Compliance 2019, Turkey, Getting The Deal Through, Law Business Research, with Fevzi Toksoy and Ertuğrul Can Canbolat
- Trade & Customs, 2019 Turkey Chapter, Getting The Deal Through, Law Business Research, with Fevzi Toksoy and Ertuğrul Can Canbolat
- International trade in goods and services in Turkey, 2018:Overview, Practical Law Country Guide in International Trade, with Fevzi Toksoy, Kenan Güler, and Cüneyt Yetgin
- The Output ® -Selected Essays, Essays and Articles on Competition Law and International Trade Remedies, 2018